But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him and his righteousness with their children's children . . . Psalm 103:17

Monday, July 28, 2014

I love this blog post!

Motherhood can be magical at times, but boy howdy, it can be HARD and tedious and feel like drudgery! I felt like I was practically engulfed in toddler waste today. I can't tell you how many items I have soaking in Napisan as I write. (Napisan is a gift. I miss it so much in the US.) Seth's diaper rash was a lot better this morning, but is pretty terrible again tonight. He just keeps burning his own little bottom, no matter how immediately we change him. I felt so frustrated at times today, and indeed at several times during this past week, I wondered if it was normal or if I was needing a serious break. I think it's normal. I've just never mothered this intensely in my own home for this long before. :) The kids are absolutely adorable, but also hysterical when they wake up too early from their nap because they can't find their pacifiers, or when they can't come into the kitchen while I'm stirring a pot of bubbling marinara sauce, or when they can't go bye-bye with Daddy when he goes to work.

All told, however, this stage with five babies is definitely MUCH easier than the newborn months with only one baby. I was isolated then, lacked experience and perspective, had a husband who was gone 12 hours a day (he flew early in the morning), and had postpartum depression. I wish I had read this blog then. I felt like SUCH a failure. I still struggle with feelings of failure every day, but I know what is realistic and what I need to ignore or laugh off. E.g.: I didn't put the clothes away AGAIN today! I am such a failure!! ;)

http://thegypsymama.com/2011/10/for-the-days-when-you-want-to-quit-motherhood/

P.S. Gracie can point to so many body parts now! Eyes, ears, mouth, nose, hair, head, arms, tummy, legs, toes, fingers. I was shocked as I quizzed her today. I had no idea she knew all of those. Marcie can name everyone in the family. When she says "Marcie," she pronounces it perfectly and points to herself. She says "Seth" with the "th" sound even! She also will point or lead the way to wherever her siblings are if I ask her (I frequently misplace David and Will, they are SO busy!). Tonight David "hugged" her with a gleeful grin, but the hug turned into a wrestling match. Marcie giggled throughout, even when Will joined the fray. Will tried to wrestle Gracie when she was trying to "go to sleep" on her blanket on the floor in the living room. He wouldn't get off her, despite her protests, so we asked David to go over and push him off her, which David did! It was pretty funny to watch. He just bowled Will over very gently but effectively, and Gracie was freed.

Gavin, Carrie, Isaac, Will, David, Marcie, Seth, & Grace Jones

Gavin, Carrie, Isaac, Will, David, Marcie, Seth, & Grace Jones

Blog Archive