But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him and his righteousness with their children's children . . . Psalm 103:17

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sixteen weeks! And a couple of prayer requests

Sixteen weeks and feeling great! But sadly, more anemic than two weeks ago. My hemoglobin dropped a full point, down to 8.4. Back in early February I was around 13, a number I won't see this pregnancy due to the dilution of my blood: I'll have 2.5 times the amount I normally do circulating through my system (as I understand it), trying to nurture those babies and keep my body working right. The doctor ordered a full panel of tests to check my iron stores and no doubt other stuff he didn't bother explaining to me. Meanwhile, I continue to drink my nasty liquid iron and pray for safety for the babies. I just want them to get enough oxygen! We have our next baby sonogram and check-up on Tuesday, so we'll update you then. I should get my blood panel results back around then, too. 

My feet and ankles have either started to swell, or I have gotten fatter down there. :) I sure felt the effects of my lack of iron, increased weight (23 pounds, woo-hoo!), and just the taxing drain five babies create on my whole system yesterday when Gavin and I got to fulfill a years-long dream of mine: visiting the Biltmore in Asheville, NC. (Thanks for helping us make that trip so much more affordable and fun, Uncle Gary and Annelies! It was wonderful to see you again! And thanks, Lisa, for keeping Isaac!!!) I said it was an early anniversary celebration since I'll be out of commission by August 14th. However, I don't think it was super romantic for Gavin to help his huffing, puffing, puffy wife all over the house and gardens, with lots of rest stops for my benefit. :) But he was unfailingly considerate, a great sport, and is a wonderful friend and husband, even when all we can do is laugh at the circumstances we find ourselves in! We do that a lot nowadays. 

One thing that really struck me was how much more impaired I was by my pregnancy than other women were by theirs (presumably singleton pregnancies). It was embarrassing! One hugely pregnant mom was pushing a stroller around. I wished I had a shirt that said "Quints on Board" or something like that. Then I might not look like such a wimp . . . 

Some pictures of yesterday, just for fun:
Many bedrooms in this house are larger than our home in Ukarumpa (960 square feet). 
The "Winter Garden"

One of many reasons we came now instead of later with six kids: there's a sheer 20-foot drop-off over that low ledge.



The outside of the stairwell that nearly did me in. 

Love to you all, and thanks a million for the continued prayers which are very apparent!
Carrie, for Gavin and Isaac, too. 


Gavin, Carrie, Isaac, Will, David, Marcie, Seth, & Grace Jones

Gavin, Carrie, Isaac, Will, David, Marcie, Seth, & Grace Jones

Blog Archive